2016年4月7日 星期四

[看電影學英文]Up in the Air型男飛行日誌

Up in the Air





"We are here to make limbo tolerable, to ferry wounded souls across the river of dread until the point where hope is dimly visible. Then stop the boat, shove ‘em in the water and make 'em swim."

喬治克隆尼飾演的 Ryan,
一直以來都是做著如此無感情的事業,
包括他的人生、性格也是 

"Tonight most people will be welcomed home by jumping dogs and squealing kids. Their spouses will ask about their day and tonight they'll sleep. The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places. And one of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wing tip passing over.

我喜歡這種不完全是完美大結局的手法,
雖然Ryan終究反悟,但終究試過著一樣的生活,不得翻身。


電影裡出現的單字&片語&俚語:
Slangs/Vocabulary/Phrase Translation/Meaning Time Sentences in the Movie
have the gall (口語) 膽敢;厚顏無恥
00:03:14
You have a lot of gall, coming in here and firing your No.1 producer.
dumbfound 使啞然失聲;使發愣
00:03:24
I guess you leave me dumbfounded. I don't know where this is coming from.
sack (口語)解雇;開除
00:04:16
I work for another company that lends me out to pussies like Steve's boss who don't have the balls to sack their own employees, in some cases for good reason. People do crazy shit when they get fired.
prompt 驅使
00:06:10
When I run my card, the system automatically prompts the desk clerk to greet me with this exact statement: Pleasure to see you again, Mr Bingham.
knick-knack 小飾物 
00:08:14
Start with the little things, the things on shelves and in drawers the knick-knacks, the collectibles.
sedan ()轎車
00:09:46
-You have me in a Dodge Stratus in Kansas City.
-They were out of all full-size sedans.
bliss 極大的幸福
00:10:37
Hey, 20 minutes from boarding into a world of bliss.
nav (navigation)導航簡寫
00:11:50
I hate asking for directions. That's why I get a nav.
simulated 偽裝的
00:12:26
I'm a sucker for simulated hospitality.
patronize 奉承
00:13:02
-That’s not bad.
-Don't patronise me.
hubris 狂妄;傲慢
00:13:08
Show some hubris. Come on, impress me.
genealogy 族譜
00:17:06
Every family has one person who keeps the genealogy in check.
varsity ()大學代表隊
00:17:15
Missy's outstanding, Matthew made varsity. How's the road?
gnome 格言
00:17:34
We've been sending people these kits, so they can print out photos of Julie and Jim on cardbord, and then take photos of them in interesting places, like that gnome in the French movie.
astute 精明的
00:21:14
When I came to Craig three months ago with this, he told me, and quite astutely, it's only a problem if you have a solution.
inflate 膨脹;上漲
00:22:54
Our inflated travel budget is eviscerated by 85%.
eviscerate 刪除
00:22:54
Our inflated travel budget is eviscerated by 85%.
grounds 根據
00:25:21
You're firing me without grounds? I have a lawsuit.
hurdle 障礙
00:30:28
We prepare the newly-unemployed for the emotional and physical hurdles of job hunting, while minimising legal blowback.
dimly 隱約地
00:30:35
We are here to make limbo tolerable, to ferry wounded souls across the river of dread until the point where hope is dimly visible. Then stop the boat, shove ‘em in the water and make 'em swim.
console 慰問
00:34:29
Hey, asshole, aren't you supposed to be consoling me?
belittle 藐視
00:37:23
No, I... I don't mean to belittle your collection. I get it. It sounds cool.
kooky 古怪的
00:39:51
My sister is kooky. She thinks this is charming. It's like the gnome thing.
precursor 先驅
00:40:02
That domed main terminal, is the first of its kind, a precursor of everything from JFK to de Gaulle.
vent 發洩;通風
00:40:58
Sometimes they just need to vent.
sugar-coat 使外表看起來美好
00:41:14
You don't have to sugar-coat it. I get the drill.
severance 雇用的契約解除
00:41:20
Inside the packet, you'll find a clearly worked out severance package.
set sth adrift 使漂流
00:42:44
This is what we do, Natalie. We take people at their most fragile and we set them adrift.
symbiotically 共生的
00:46:38
Some animals were meant to carry each other, to live symbiotically for a lifetime.
monogamous 一夫一妻的
00:46:44
star-crossed lovers, monogamous swans. We are not those animals.
cult 狂熱崇拜
00:48:08
Now, those cult members in San Diego, with the Kool-Aid and the sneakers… they didn't die alone.
counterproductive 招致反效果的
00:50:29
It can be counterproductive.
fit the bill 合適的
00:50:50
He um... He really fit the bill.
outdoorsy 喜愛戶外活動的
00:50:55
White collar, college grad. Loves dogs, likes funny movies. Six-foot-one, brown hair, kind eyes, works in finance but is outdoorsy… you know, on the weekends.
hermit 隱居者
00:57:53
I don't hate people. I'm not exactly a hermit.
condescend 高高在上在指示
01:01:48
Can you stop condescending for one second or is it a principle of your bullshit philosophy?
run the gauntlet (跑過兩排人之間受鞭打)受凌厲攻擊
01:02:09
And this woman comes along and runs the gauntlet of your life choice, and comes out on the other end smiling just so you can call her "casual"?
dole out 發放救難物資
01:09:09
I mean,who am I to be doling out relationship advice,right?
jock (大學)運動選手
01:18:53
-You played basketball?
-I was a point guard. Don't act so surprised.
-I didn't know you were such a jock.
cold feet ()膽怯
01:20:22
-What happened?
-Jim's got cold feet.
-Today?
-Yeah,that's how cold feet work.
demise 死亡;停止活動
01:23:03
Marriage can be a pain in the ass. And you're right. This all is just stuff that leads to your eventual demise.
parenthesis 括弧;內附加的
01:35:06
You're a break from our normal lives, you're a…a parenthesis.
squeal 尖叫
01:43:36
Tonight most people will be welcomed home by jumping dogs and squealing kids. Their spouses will ask about their day and tonight they'll sleep. The stars will wheel forth from their daytime hiding places. And one of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wing tip passing over.



大家好,我是Y.C Bradley,可以叫我Brad。

我只是個業餘的電影、英文學習愛好者,這文章系列是希望讀者們能有更好的觀影體驗,同時增進英文能力。

此表格收錄的單字、片語和俚語,是我主觀所選,以電影中的意思為主翻譯,並以出現的先後順序排列。

怎麼利用此表格,讀者們可以自由發揮。建議在觀影之前,先瀏覽過單字,並在觀影時,將電影的「英文」字幕開啟。之後如果重看,更可以試著關掉字幕。一部電影可能會有很多不懂單字,不必要求全部學會;若是能加深自己對某些單字或片語的印象,和畫面聲音有連結,進而永遠記住,那才是更重要的。

學語言要開心學,最有效果。語言最精髓的是「用法」,翻譯永遠只是片面的「輔助」。當我聽到學過的單字出現在電影裡,心情是悸動的,遠遠勝過從單字本或課本學習英文。

祝,觀影愉快。

沒有留言:

張貼留言